Helena is currently carrying out research for her book, Blackwell and Its Families.
The book will go into detail about the families associated with Blackwell in its Edwardian heyday – Holt, Brooks, Winterbottom and Chapman:
- Edward Holt was a wealthy Manchester industrialist
- His wife Elizabeth came from the Brooks chemist family of Manchester
- Joseph Holt and his cousins, Archibald and Rowland Brooks, were in the 6th Battalion Manchester Regiment during World War One
- Edith Winterbottom was between maid at Blackwell, having been selected by Mrs Holt from a Manchester orphanage
- Two of the Chapman brothers were gardeners at Blackwell, and were responsible for operating the coal-powered generator that provided electricity to the house from its completion in 1901.
Throughout 2018 she’ll be investigating the histories of the families, their similarities and differences, and how they each found their place within Edwardian society.